Monday, June 22, 2009

Slow digestion...

I'm still digesting all the information from Friday's allergist appointment. Not only did Jack's allergies not improve (milk, egg) but we learned that he has a severe peanut allergy, he's allergic to soy, corn, tree nuts, cats, dogs, mold, and dust mites. Don't get me wrong, the information is empowering, it's information that we need to help our son. But I get sad thinking about how little he can eat and frustrated thinking about how little he WILL eat and I get furious thinking about all the modification to foods and additives in foods and cheaper faster b/s that is the food industry. How's that for a quick vent? Almost cried in the cereal isle when I couldn't find a single box that he could eat. I bought some plain puffed rice cereal (ingredients: puffed whole grain brown rice) but he turned his nose up at it. So it's noon and today he's had rice milk, a banana, an organic dried pureed fruit snack thing, and some apple juice and water. I am hoping that having him off soy and corn completely will bring some pleasant surprises, better sleep, better color, better overall health, maybe even an appetite?? I have been suspicious of corn so hadn't been giving it to him but I wasn't being a stickler about things like vanilla extract, citric acid, etc which are corn derived. He has been eating rice noodles with tomato sauce so I'm going to start adding some pureed vegetables to the sauce, every little bit counts.

Sorry this is all venting and frustration.....my little Jack's health is consuming 99% of my thoughts right now so it's all I've got. And even if no one reads this, it feels good to type it. Shrinks the lump in my throat just a little.

We've tossed stuffed animals, are replacing flooring, and covering pillows and mattresses with dust mite covers. Waiting for a call from a naturopath today, that will be our next step in this journey. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. you are doing great! this kind of child love should be present in all parents!

    ReplyDelete