Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Somebody likes her food"

A well meaning granny had this to say about Harvey in line at Henry's yesterday. "Yes, HE does" was my response. Oh, my little fatty. I played with some ingredients and made a delicious coconut curry rice. 1 cup basmati rice, 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (preferably the organic stuff that LOOKS like vegetables, not water), 1 can coconut milk, 1 tblspn curry powder, and 1 tsp good salt. Just threw it all in the pot, brought it to a boil, and then let it simmer for 40 min or so. Jack sounded like a screeching weasel when I put it in front of him and then dry heaved when I brought a spoon to his face but Harvey LOVED it. *sigh* I'm going to make it again only with a little more curry and I'll add diced tomato and sliced carrot and maybe top with with a little shredded coconut and apricot preserves... YUM!



For dinner I went ahead with the roasted vegetable wraps and Justin opted for a microwaved costco frozen chicken bake. He asked to taste my wrap and then said "wanna trade?". I'm making a believer out of him! Wraps consisted of: 1 sprouted wheat tortilla, 1/2 smashed avocado, 1/4 c. black beans, roasted zuchini, fresh salsa, and green leaf lettuce. Wrap and soy milk, that's a vegan meal my friends.


Jack really likes the gluten free brown rice bread that I found yesterday, I toasted it and gave it to him with vegan butter. The slices are little but describing them as "dense" is putting it lightly. He ate that for dinner. *sigh* again. I've started supplementing him with coconut oil which is good for the immune system, digestive system, and is a form of good cholesterol. We have more allergy testing happening next Friday so I'm anxious to hear if he can have tree nuts as well as some other things. And to see if his big allergies (milk, egg) have improved in reaction. I don't know that he should ever EAT those foods, his body responds so violently, but for his safety I would like to see improvement.

Considering taking the boys to Kidsville today after Harvey's nap. Right now Jack is playing "puppy", he barks, pants, fetches, and occasionally poops on the floor. That of course occurs when we're not playing puppy. *grumble* He has woken up dry three mornings in a row now so we are making some major progress in the potty training department. Okay, puppies need to be tended to. In the words of the wise one (Elmo) "kiss kiss".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Juni! Ah-ha... so hubby isn't so into the Vegan thing huh? Your food sounds amazing though, so hopefully you can get him to convert. :) I also had to comment on the remark you got from the lady at the grocery store about Harvey. I get those ALL the time still about Ian. Yes, he's big. I know!! I know they mean well though. :) BTW... your boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete