Wednesday, December 16, 2009

At last...

I'm inspired to blog again !! In the brief moments of free time that parenting allows me I've been burried in research and working at wrapping my sleep deprived brain around some very complicated concepts. If there's one thing I've learned it's that I should never stop learning. You would not believe how complex allergies are. I went from the understanding that avoidance was the only route to take to the mindset that healing is possible. I've become familiar with what it means to have high histamine levels in the body, methylation issues, phenol sensitivities, blocked detox pathways, leaky gut, and the complexities of b vitamins. This all relates to Jack but is of importance to everyone and we have cleaned up our diet significantly because of it.

We've been starting our mornings with juiced greens (spinach, kale, chard) which I add to Jack's juice and add to our smoothies. Our greens are going bananas thanks to the rain and cool weather. My goal each day is consuming 75% raw food and getting as much raw foods as possible into the rest of my family. Harvey loves food and shares my palate for intense flavors so he's easy, plus he's still nursing so he really is getting everything he needs. I've worked raw carrots and raw seeds into Jack's daily eating along with the green juice. My new year goals are to begin fermenting my own veggies and making my own kefir. I'm also getting more familiar with quinoa and buckwheat groats and attempting to make them palatable enough for my super picky three year old. Stay tuned.

Included in Jack's diet are lots of snuggles, tickles, and a high dose of physical romping around. He is now attending twice weekly speech therapy sessions and LOVES them. While behind his peers, his speech is coming along beautifully and he never ceases to melt and inspire us. Each new development in his communication makes us beam with pride and hope. Harvey is our little old soul. He's saying a lot and picks up everything as though he's done it a thousand times before. He worships Jack and the two of them are doing their best to turn me grey.

Current favorite raw food recipe:

Raw Pineapple Curry Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage shredded
2 cups fresh pineapple diced
handful of raw flax seeds
1/4 sweet red onion sliced thinly
minced cilantro (I use a lot)
salt, cayenne, and curry powder

Lots more recipes to come. The boys have been entertaining themselves for 40 minutes and Jack's reminding me it's "munch time". Thank you for reading, love to my beautiful family and friends!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds so yum. I love salads with uncooked cabbage. I'll let you know what I think after I make it. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete