Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Extreme Makeover

For our kitchen that is! We're trying something that we should have done three and half years ago, removing Jack's allergens from the house. It will be a challenge for sure but I've been getting better at making meals we can (and will) all eat so now it's just a matter of bulking up on the Jack friendly stuff and ditching the rest. It was weighing on me really heavily this weekend and then Sunday afternoon I was making a bagel and Jack came up and asked "why are you eating a donut mama?" and I replied "this is called a bagel" and he says "Jack wants a bagel!". Broke my heart...and I totally did not enjoy my bagel. Someday Jack might be able to eat an egg free/dairy free bagel but right now most grains just don't agree with him and I don't want him to feel different or left out, not here in our home at least!

So here's what a Jack friendly kitchen looks like except for a few allergens we have yet to consume, like the bagels and soy milk. The soy milk is Justin's and I'm not sure if he'll want to give that up or not. The safe milks for Jack are rice and hemp and even I don't drink those.




I'm sure I'll be posting our meal succeses but this weeks menu will look something like this.

Day 1:
Roast free range organic whole chicken (I'll make bone broth from the leftovers)
Roasted carrots
Micro greens salad with avocado and baby heirloom tomatoes

Day 2:
Leftover chicken
Soba (buckwheat) noodles
Organic broccoli

Day 3:
Grilled filet mignon
Homemade organic sweet potato fries
Baby greens salad with avocado

Day 4:
Alaskan salmon
Rice or quinoa cooked in bone broth
Baby greens salad with avocado

Day 5:
Burgers on iceburg lettuce instead of a bun with tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard
Sweet potato fries

Day 6:
Rice Penne w/grass fed beef, artichoke hearts, and fresh tomatoes
Organic broccoli

Lunches will be leftovers, canned soup, hot dogs, alphabet fries.
Snacks will be bananas, organic apple slices and carrot sticks dipped in sunflower seed butter, veggie chips.
Breakfast will be smoothies, rice cereal, bananas, sunflower seed butter and honey rice bread sandwiches.

Not bad eh??? I'm excited. Hopefully the gluten withdrawals aren't bad. And hopefully we'll all feel amazing due to the change. I know the reward will be including Jack in all our meals and knowing our kitchen is a safe place for him. I'm still flying high from yesterdays test results, I'm thinking about having them framed. You think I'm kidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment