Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Food update and pancake recipe!


There's no denying that food is an extreme sport in our home. We started with the basics and have progressively grown in our capabilities. Accomplishing nourishment in Jack is a thrill and I am a total junky. There are a few foods (rice and white potato) that still register on Jack's IGG test but I just couldn't get away from them with all of his other restrictions. He seems to tolerate them fine with the use of enzymes but I still don't feel good about giving them to him in excess. I tried experimenting with other grains but that was a total failure so, deflated, I relaxed a bit and stuck to our status quo.

I've been reading about rotation diets and think that following one with rice and white potato makes a lot of sense. Both foods are convenient and filling but aren't nutrient dense and his body doesn't like them (so neither do I!). The idea is that you take foods that evoke a mild immune response and you alternate those foods so that the same food isn't being eaten consecutively and being attacked day after day. I'd like to have a five day schedule but will probably start with three days and work at spacing it apart more over time. Buckwheat and sweet potato are both super foods and don't register on Jack's allergy tests at all so my challenge will be to use them between days where I allow rice or white potato. Send recipes!

I spent hours messing around with buckwheat pancakes yesterday and finally found success. My first recipe lacked fat and the pancakes stuck to my cast iron. Got on youtube and worked at seasoning my skillets (bacon fat baby) and also ended up with a batter that contained buckwheat flour, hemp milk, sunflower seed butter, and smashed banana which turned out great and the pancakes flipped pretty easily and were even somewhat fluffy. I'll perfect the recipe and post it for those interested. Jack loves them (Harvey too!) and they can be eaten plain or used as sandwich bread. I thought their dark color might deter Jack but not at all - they taste a lot better than his rice bread so I think he welcomes the change! Cheaper too! Hoping they freeze well so I can make big batches.


Trader Joe's has Sweet Potato Chips that are safe and tasty (AND CONVENIENT) so I'm switching to those. I've seen buckwheat cracker recipes, hopefully I can muster up the courage to cracker bake! I get mega paranoid about cookware chemicals. I feel good about cast iron. Any suggestions for safe cookie sheets? Crackers require parchment paper - I'll be researching the health info on that too. Knowing I can send Jack to preschool with a buckwheat pancake sandwich, sweet potato chips, and a banana (a meal that doesn't require enzymes) is such a rush! One less thing to worry about on the big day (Monday!).

Jack's Buckwheat Pancakes

1 cup buckwheat flour
2 cups hemp milk (or milk of your choice)
1 banana smashed
flaxseed goop (6 tblspns boiling water combined with 2 tblspns ground flax seed)
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or nut butter of your choice)

Pour batter as usual, should serve 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment