Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Preschool - upside/downside

I'll start with the good because it's really good. Jack had a great first day of preschool yesterday! His teacher said he had a good day and that they enjoyed having him. He remembered the house when we pulled up and was excited, he even mentioned that he "showed daddy his new preschool" which was true, Justin was with us last time we were there (which was a couple months ago!). I spent about 15 minutes there with him as he grooved in and checked things out. When I left (with a howling Harvey - wanted desperately to stay and play) Jack was fine and when I picked him up he was playing with the other children in the play kitchen area. He ran and gave me a hug and then gave Harvey a hug (awww) and then rushed us out of there in true Jack fashion. I did have enough time to hear from the teacher that he and another boy had played dress up (princess dresses) together and that Jack enjoyed the marble painting they did. I am SO proud of him!! I know he was a little nervous, he wouldn't let me take the customary backpack photo but I snapped a few others which I'll share.

The bummer of the day is that a couple hours after coming home the diarrhea started. Poor kiddo spent the rest of the day on and off the potty. Can I just say how much I HATE ALLERGIES!? I can't have allergies ruining this for him, he NEEDS this social experience. And he ENJOYED it. This was probably just a cross contamination or him popping a small bit of dropped food in his mouth or something to that affect. Nerves could be to blame or it's possible the recent remedies he took have him more susceptible to a gut reaction. If it continues to be an issue I'll just have to pick him up from school before lunch each day. Unfortunately this would mean just two and a half hours of school per day rather than four but it's better than none. I'd like to to think Jack isn't this sensitive, only time will tell. The important thing is that the teachers there are "on it" and I am not worried about his safety.





Keeping these events in perspective I would rather he had an allergy issue than a behavioral/anxious issue. Unfortunately on some levels it's all related so we'll just keep working on our goal of overall health and positive social experiences for Jack.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if the runs was just from Jack being nervous the first day...happens to me all the time! I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the thought did totally cross my mind. Butt (hee hee) it just seemed too violent to be that. Who knows! I repeat WHO KNOWS!??!?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for the past three days and LOVE your family... I literally got tears in my eyes for poor Jack....and your struggles. You are doing such a wonderful job and I'm proud of you. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth, that's really sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I'm so glad he did well. He probably just picked up something from someone else. Drew has to sit at a seperate table at school. Fortunately, he's not alone at his "special diet table".

    ReplyDelete