Friday, January 21, 2011

FOODIE Friday: Sunflower Cookies Edition

Peanuts, eat your heart out!

Upon hearing this conversation from the other room this morning:

Harvey: (eating a breakfast bar containing wheat and dry milk) Jack, I like dis!
Jack: No no no, I can't have it. I'm allergic to it. I can't have cookies and cheese and peanuts and eggs and milk. I'm allergic to everything.
Harvey: Yeah, you 'lergic.
Jack: Come on, let's shake the allergic out!

I walk in to find them flailing around like they took a hit of e at a rave. "We're shaking out the allergic, come on mama, shake out the allergic with us!!".

That's when I declared "it's baking day". And (for those of you familiar with Le Backyardigans) we sang to the tune of Racing Day:

Baking day, it's baking day!
Baking day, it's baking day!
We only have A.P.E. today,
today's the day we bake!

We made muffins and Sunflower Cookies inspired by a post on The Allergic Kid who coincidentally (hee) reviewed Food Allergies and Me! Our recipes are very different because of our limitations so check hers out too!

Sunfower Seed Butter Cookies

3/4 cup of sunflower seed butter
3/4 cup of sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice)
1/4 cup of brown sugar (same as above)
1/2 smashed ripe banana
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons hemp milk
3/4 cup of buckwheat flour (I use Arrowhead Mills)
1/4 tsp of baking soda

Cream together sunflower seed butter (I use Trader Joe's but any Sunbutter will do), sugar, smashed banana, olive oil, and hemp milk. Sift together buckwheat flour and baking soda and slowly mix in to wet ingredients.

Pause to wipe a hiney - oh, that's just me? Okay then.

Drop by the rounded tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheet and criss cross with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 - 20 minutes.


And, okay, I really need to stop doubting my abilities because these are yummy looking, delicious, AND good for you. They are salty and sweet, crispy and chewy. I'm sure they're tasty on day two, but ours didn't last that long.

2 comments:

  1. These look AWESOME! Hemp milk is such a good milk for anything with a "nutty" taste, too. Shaking the allergic out is too cute. I only wish it were that simple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right!? Cute and sad all at once! Thanks for the inspiration on the cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete