Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Song in My Head

You were a song in my head,
The warmth of the sheets in my bed.
A story forever told, but never old,
A warm arrival never left so cold.

Really, what is with the scripting? I mean, I know what the experts (insert maniacal laughter) have to say about it. But what do the real experts you parents make of it? How about those of you who have only heard the word - how do you translate it?

Jack's scripting has evolved, it's "fading" on it's own. It started so young, and at a time when I was desperate for some WORDS, that I never tried to dissuade him from doing it. Despite what I've read, I don't notice it being a self soother or stim for him. I perceive it as more of a release of whatever is rolling around in that brain of his. You see, I do it ALL the time. I have a non-stop reel of music flying through my mind and, when the mood strikes, I belt it out, hum along, whistle... Is THAT scripting?? I think so. It's just wrapped in a socially acceptable bow.

The hubs tells me his mind is silent. Hubs is very logical and very intelligent and finds it unbelievable that I come with my own never ending soundtrack. I had to facebook poll the topic once just to prove to him that I wasn't abnormal. Which is really my point, I believe scripting is NORMAL. There, I said it. In comes in different shapes and forms, some repeat a word right when they hear it, others prefer to talk about certain topics (uh - don't we all, especially us *ahem* bloggers), but it's communication nonetheless.

The only stumbling block to this belief of mine, is the ever present general public (gah!). Don't get me wrong, when Jack announces, "You can't count on ANYONE. Especially your heroes!", I don't expect someone to know what to say. But at least give the kid a pass... What if he had come up and sang "Down came the rain and washed the spider out."? He'd probably achieve a smile, maybe even applause. But bust out a lyric from his current favorite movie (The Incredibles btw) and he's likely to get a blank stare......even more likely? I'll get a look that says What's up with that?!

Don't blink, don't close your eyes,
But most of all don't apologize.
It's me who's got the demons to wrestle now.

This isn't always the case, of course. We do have some Incredibles of our own in this life. People who have conversed with and listened intently to Jack even when his entire language was jargon. Sometimes, it's really hard for me to experience anything other than that type of love and acceptance. There have been days when we haven't left the house just because I wasn't particularly in the mood to either a) educate people (bleh!) or b) smile and nod while feeling misunderstood. I get that it's different............but it isn't unacceptable. Even if you don't personally know an individual with autism, special needs, delays. You will. The statistic is 1 in 110 children who are diagnosed with autism now, 1 in 70 boys. And then there are the many children, like Jack, that don't qualify for a diagnosis but don't fit the "normal" mold in your mind. Embrace and accept these individuals as a valuable piece of your community. If it were your loved one, you would hope for the same.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! The scripting gradually gets to be more functional and then so functional that it's barely noticeable except to those "in the know" and then it's gone altogether.

    ReplyDelete