Monday, May 9, 2011

This might get boring.


As a result of our most recent allergy test, I've decided to integrate a few past allergens into Jack's diet on a rotation. Zzzzzzzz....I know, right? Soy showed up so tiny that they labeled it negative, but we know it has always been super-duper-off-the-charts high on every IgG test and it's notoriously hard to digest. Grape and corn were equally as small. Jack does seem to tolerate processed corn okay but popcorn (organic, air popped, no chance of cross contamination) gives him violent diarrhea, so it's hard for me to give it to him knowing that it might be affecting his digestive system and possibly his immune system. ACCKKK. However, I'm eager to get more varieteh (safely) into my kid and want to be careful not to limit his diet unnecessarily.


Enter the ROTATION DIET. One meal per week will contain a past allergen. Sunday mornings we're letting Jack have Vans gluten free waffles, which contain soy flour. I haven't quite figured out corn and grape but I have foods that I want to give him. For the time being, I'll just keep track of when he eats them. While it feels totally rigid to allow something only once per week, I just can't know for sure if it is as safe as it appears to be. Soy, in particular, makes me nervous. The idea of the rotation diet is that even if a food does cause an immune response/inflammatory reaction, it won't do harm because of the infrequency. This control concept makes me pretty comfortable.

(Bruce Lee approved)

The most (only?) exciting part of this is that there are so many allergy friendly foods that we still were unable to enjoy because of one ingredient (like the soy in the waffles). Have you seen these Trader Joe's Snickerdoodles yet?!!? They are top 8 free and the only no-no is/was grape. Into the rotation they go!

1 comment:

  1. I don't find it boring at all! Plus, it made me realize that we were doing unconsciously doing a rotation diet with some things that are lower on the sensitivity scale for my son (like soy). Makes sense to me. Yay for food re-introductions! :-)

    ReplyDelete